Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Top Chef Recap and What's to Come...


Wow! What a start to the season last week! Not one but two cheftestants got the boot on the season premiere. The candidates traveled to the Big Apple and were met with an appropriate Quickfire Challenge centered around apples. Peeling, dicing, and preparing a dish were all elements but ultimately Lauren was out. I think it takes some serious skills to peel 15 apples with a paring knife! In the Elimination Challenge, the chefs were given a neighborhood in the city and challenged to create a recipe that was inspired by the ethnic foods of the area. My mouth was watering as the dishes were prepared and of course the chaos in the kitchen was entertaining. Jeff completely misjudged the allotted time and was running around like a crazy person trying to plate. Needless to say the judges were not impressed with the final dish. My favorite chef so far is Eugene. He's a very likable contestant and even though he had not made Indian before he inadvertently made a traditional dish that went over very well with the judges. I hope he goes far in the competition! In it to win it was Stefan and win it he did. His attitude is arrogant to say the very least but his lamb dish did look yum. On the chopping block were Ariane and Patrick, a culinary student. I thought Patrick's mistakes were small and he could improve through the competition but the judges sent him and his knives out the door. I think Ariane will be out soon though. Not a lot of moxy or creativity in her cupboard and rookie mistakes that the judges were not impressed with given her experience. Tonight the competition continues and it's going to be a shocking episode judging from the previews. A snippet shows Padma spitting out one of the dishes - can't wait to see what happens! I'll be tuning in as I blog some of my own new recipes.

1 comment:

Steenmama said...

I think Jeff is one of the chefs to watch this season.